Web Only / Features » January 8, 2019
Instead of Watching Trump’s Speech, Watch This 12 Year Old Eviscerate the Immigration Crackdown
Leah, whose parents are undocumented, slammed Trump’s “evil” family separations.
"Why don’t they care about us children?”
President Donald Trump is slated to give a national address Tuesday at 9:00 p.m. eastern time to discuss, as he put it, “the Humanitarian and National Security crisis on our Southern Border.”
But Leah, the daughter of undocumented parents, says the real humanitarian crisis is the Trump administration’s brutal separation of families—at the border and throughout the country.
Leah, 12 years old when she addressed the “Families Belong Together” rally in Washington, D.C. last June, identified herself as the “proud daughter of a domestic worker who loves me very much.”
“The government is separating and detaining refugee parents and children at the border who are looking for safety,” she told the cheering crowd. “Our government also continues to separate u.s. citizen children like me from their parents every day.”
“This is evil,” she continued. “It needs to stop.”
“Don’t they have a family too?” Leah demanded. “Why don’t they care about us children?”
The full speech can be viewed below.
if you like this, check out:
- When Former Prosecutors Rebrand Themselves as Progressives to Win Elections
- The Private Prison Divestment Movement Just Had an Incredible Week
- The Queens DSA Helped Elect AOC. Next Up: The District Attorney Race.
- Rashida Tlaib: Impeach Trump Now
- Sherrod Brown Is Out for 2020, But the Fight for Workers’ Rights Is Not